| A blog on my journey as a WORK AT HOME MOM and my WORK AT HOME BUSINESS |

24 December, 2005

Beds-South Island

Let's talk about the South - the 'more' popular tourist destination for travellers who have limited time.

Everyone raves about the beauty in the South island. From the many advices from friends, we decide to spend more days here.

Like the North island, the South island offers many types of accommodation - from backpackers, to motels, to hotels, apartments, villas, lodges, b&bs...

After crossing the ferry to Picton, our first stay in the South Island is sunny Nelson.

I have particularly chosen Joya Studio Villa (it's also a B&B) as I find the concept of the place interesting. It is listed in an organic holiday homes website. (http://www.organicholidays.com).

The owner, Paulina, is also a qualified speech therapist who has migrated to New Zealand in the last 5 years. She conducts classes in her main villa and offers residential courses too. Look up: http://www.joya.co.nz

Joya is tucked in a quiet spot within the city. Yes, it is in the city and you don't even feel as if you are!

We stayed at the Garden Villa which is separated from the main villa. I enjoy the herb and flower garden, the koi pond and it is so private and relaxing.

Joya Studio, Nelson

It is nice opening up to the beautiful landscaping in the morning. We walked around the garden and pond before checking out.

In Kaikora, I p
lanned to stay in a luxury lodge called Hapuku Lodge. I fell in love with this property when I first viewed the website.

Before I go on, I would like to recommend two of my two favourites accommodation websites to you - www.ratestogo.com and www.wotif.com

Both of these offer last minute accommodations at discounted rates. I usually do my comparison with the websites before making any reservation.

Hapuku Lodge is a modern contemporary lodge but the rate quoted to me was above our budget.
Then one day while I was doing my search, I saw it advertised in wotif and it was offering at a discounted rate of NZ$300 (with breakfast) instead of the quoted NZ$375!

I booked it immediately after Alex agreed that we should pamper ourselves. Hooray!

So we spent a night at the spacious Olive House (the lodge doesn't accept children) and we thoroughly enjoyed the luxury of this purpose-built house.

The bed is one of the most comfortable ones we have slept in! Thanks, Justin!

There is a fireplace and a double jet spa that we can't wait to use. Owner, Justin graciously showed us how to light the fireplace and gave us clear instructions about using the jet spa.

The apartment has windows that open up to a 360 degree views of the Kaikoura mountains - the scenery is simply stunning!

Besides the Olive House, Hapuku has six guestrooms in its main lodge above its award winning Hapuku Cafe, which serves organic produce.


This is a picture taken with Alex and Clayton at the fireplace.


The living and dining area in the Olive House.


If you are looking at staying near the waterfront, we recommend the Anchor Inn Motel. This is a 5-star rated luxury motel. It is judged Best Motel at the NZ Tourism Awards 3 Years Running.

For more luxury apartments, check out White Morph Studio Apartments and Motor Inn and Waves on the Esplanade.

I took me a while before deciding where to spend the night in Christchurch. Not that Christchurch has a shortage of accommodation but I am looking for an apartment that is near the Cathedral Square.

It also should be near the Tranz Scenic railway.

I like to include a mix of accommodations for our trip - economical and a little luxury (which we just did in Kaikoura!).

Finally, I decide that we should try something different. We couldn't afford The George, a boutique hotel that scores high on service and quality.

So for a change, I settled for Stonehurst.
I am certain it will all go well as Stonehurst has a few awards to its reputation.

This is a unique property that caters to all - from backpackers to families. You have the option of a dorm, a motel room or an apartment.

We chose the one bedroom apartment which allows me to cook for little Clayton. The rate is
priced affordably at NZ$130 and it has a separate bedroom and a fully-equipped kitchen.

There isn't a view to enjoy like the Hapuku but you can't complain for what you are getting for that price. Moreover, the staff in Stonehurst is friendly and helpful.


The kitchen in our one bedroom apartment.

No comments: