| A blog on my journey as a WORK AT HOME MOM and my WORK AT HOME BUSINESS |

02 March, 2007

Beware of Staph Infection

A new epidemic called MRSA (methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus) is spreading among the American public, including football players, children and the elderly. Staph infection (more commonly known) is resistant to common antibiotics and it can spread from one person to another, in other words, it is contagious.

The skin infection caused by MRSA is commonly mistaken as spider bites which looks like a pimple or boil and appears red, swollen ,painful and often accompanied by a pus or some other drainage. It tends to occur on the neck, groin and armpit area, even the buttocks where bacteria grow. In some serious cases, it can lead to pneumonia or other fatal infections.

Treatment is through intravenous antibiotics or by draining the abscess by a healthcare professional. To avoid MRSA, practising good hygiene is important. This means keeping your hands and towels clean; keep active wounds covered until healed; avoid sharing towels and razors; consult a trained physician for active wounds and treat it with StaphAseptic First Aid Bactericide Gel.

No comments: