| A blog on my journey as a WORK AT HOME MOM and my WORK AT HOME BUSINESS |

18 December, 2006

Fighting infections

My immune system has been terribly compromised the last two years. I have tried several ways to stay strong. The trouble is when Clayton falls sick, I'm proned to pick up the infection. It has been depressing at times, especially when you hear comments like, "You got a cold again?"

With a rhinitis history, I tend to fall prey to respiratory ailments. So the only way is to keep infections at bay by being more informed in health matters. Being an advocate in natural and alternative health methods, I prefer to see a doctor only when necessary.

According to one of Britain's leading nutritional author, Patrick Holford, here are some tips on fighting an infection:

• Avoid oily and 'heavy' foods. Eat lightly.Protein is necessary to build immune cells.

• Keep warm. The immune system works better in a warm environment.

• Avoid dairy if your infection is mucus-related

• Increase your Vitamin C intake

• Drink's cat's claw tea, add ginger, echinacea and take garlic.

• If it's a cold, consider taking Sambucol, 4 times a day

• Take grapefruit seed extract (10 drops) if you have a bacterial, fungal or parasitical infection.

• Know what infection it is. Consult your doctor if you are not better within five days

No comments: