| A blog on my journey as a WORK AT HOME MOM and my WORK AT HOME BUSINESS |

11 September, 2007

thinking about pilates

I've been reading some articles on pilates, and on how it can benefit my health and overall wellbeing. Apparently, pilates not only can relieve the symptoms of some illnesses but also can increase spinal and joint flexibility, so that the elderly can perhaps avoid more serious problems with these areas. Doctors will even recommend that the senior citizens join an exercise group for their health and well being.

One of the best reasons to start a Pilates program is that your own abilities control how fast you advance in the program. Your own strength and fitness will control how you do each exercise; you only do what you can. Unlike weight training, Pilates is not based on gaining a certain amount of muscle mass. The main goal of Pilates is the general improvement in health, with increased flexibility, increases muscle tone, and reduced stress. Pilates is more about mental than physical control.

Maybe I should start looking for a qualifed instructor for pilates.

1 comment:

Lynda Lippin said...

I definitely suggest starting under the watchful eye of a certified Pilates teacher. We cannot always tell exactly how we are moving and it helps to have feedback. I hope you enjoy Pilates; I took Pilates 20 years ago and have been teaching it for 18 years!

Lynda
Pilates & Reiki In Paradise Website
Pilates & Reiki In Paradise Blog