| A blog on my journey as a WORK AT HOME MOM and my WORK AT HOME BUSINESS |

19 June, 2007

The best advice I got as a teen

This post is written in support of the group writing project taking place at Weary Parent. I'm entering not because I want to win the contest but it is a nice topic that brings back memories.

Growing up in a home where my parents' marriage was less than perfect, I spent more time with mom and often felt that she liked to nag and grumble. As a growing teen at that time (even now) I felt irritated when mom went on overboard on advising and putting a point across. But the best advice I got from mom as a teen was to 'save for rainy days'. Mom went through life the hard way so she always believe that women must save. She knew I loved shopping so she just had to remind me all the time.

Mom is particular with cleanliness and tidiness so she will keep reminding me to do the same. Day in and day out, clothes must be in the laundry, all things be placed where they were first found, dishes must be cleared and no spills must be left on floors and tables. Stressful? Yes! Stiffling? Yes! But did it have an impact on my growing up? Yes!

Looking back, I appreciate the sound advice she gave though it felt like a ear full at times. I treasure this somewhat bitter sweet feeling and always thank her in my heart for her patience and silent love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doris - what a great entry! I hope you do win.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely, balanced tribute.