| A blog on my journey as a WORK AT HOME MOM and my WORK AT HOME BUSINESS |

11 October, 2007

don't feel guilty over a massage



What better way to end the day than a massage after a hard day's work? Some people regard massage therapy as a form of luxury but it's certainly more than that. Over the years, massage therapy has been found out to be a necessary element in obtaining general wellness. Previously, my hubby used to flash me with a look that made me feel guilty about booking myself to a relaxation therapy. But ever since I signed him up for a session on his birthday, his concept of massage therapy had changed for the good.

If you are that sort who have negative impression of massage and think that it's one of those activities attended by ladies of leisure who have nothing better to do in the day, then I hope that you will change your mind after reading this post.



There are more than 200 massage techniques available nowadays. But regardless of the technique used, all of these are intended to help in the healing process, management of pain, relief from stress, and improvement of circulation. I have tried many kinds of massage in the last ten years: swedish massage, aromatherapy massage, shiatsu, reflexology, sports massage, deep tissue massage and thai massage. Depending on my physical condition, I'll love a relaxation aromatherapy massage if I'm feeling all tired and stressed on my shoulders, neck and back. How I love those healing essential oils, they can simply revive, refresh and rejuvenate your mind and being. And if treatment is needed, I'll usually go for a Chinese therapeutic massage, which is known as 'Tui Na' in Mandarin. Coupled with acupuncture and cupping, this is a very effective form of treatment for injuries and specific ailments of the body.



Even when I was expecting Clayton, I was conscientious in pre-natal massage which could be the contributing cause of supple skin tone on my belly with no stretch marks during and after pregnancy. Contrary to what some women think, pre-natal massage is safe when conducted by an experienced and well trained massage therapist. It helps to provide relaxation and better sleep; reprieve on weight-bearing areas like ankles, joints, pelvis, and lower back; help in posture maintenance; prevention of swelling on feet and hands; lessening of cramps; and relief from nasal congestion.

Massage not only works to relieve us from life’s everyday stress. The traditional systems of health care all over the world have recognized the importance of therapeutic massage in the treatment of chronic illnesses. So the next time you decide to get a massage, stop feeling guilty about it. After all, the bodywork has enhanced your total wellbeing so what is there to be guilty about?



If any of you are keen to explore a massage therapy business or are interested in becoming a massage therapist or a massage geek, hop over to Massagegeeks dot com to learn more.

2 comments:

valmg said...

A foot massage would be so nice right now!

Event Planning said...

Good for you for taking such good care of yourself and getting massages! There's nothing more rejuvinating than a great massage at least once a month. Great post!